Now just waiting, excited as to when our daughter will decide it’s time to arrive!
So I’ve been busy making and sewing some handmade things for her which I’ll photograph tomorrow and post about.
Thankfully the top part is the same as the top part of the dress I made, so I should be quicker at making that bit. Yesterday I copied the pattern onto baking parchment and cut out all the fabric. I then managed (under guidance of the sewing teacher) to machine the pants part together and attach the popper band between the legs!
I’m hoping instead of the 5 weeks that it took me to make the dress, it might only take me 3 weeks to make the dungarees!
Today I managed to finish my first baby dress! It took another 2 hours to finish hand stitching the dress top to the skirt on the inside, machining the 2 button holes and fixing the 4 buttons on. Although I machined the button holes very well, I did them with the best side on the inside rather than the outside! But once the button is pulled through it’s not really noticeable!
In total it’s taken around 12 hours, £20 in sewing club fees, £5.60 for the pattern plus the cost of the material and buttons (which I don’t have a record of)! But it is the first ever piece of clothing I’ve ever made and baby clothes seem to be particularly difficult because they are so small and fiddly.
Our daughter will probably only wear it for a month or so!
I decided the best way to have some lovely baby dresses and outfits was to make my own!
So I raided my material collection and found some gorgeous pink and white dotty material and some cream with pink hearts material. I bought a pattern from our local sewing shop and have been trying to make a dress for the last 4 weeks!!
I only sew for 2 hours every Wednesday afternoon at my local sewing class so it takes a while to make any significant progress!
It took me a week to trace the pattern for a 0-3 month size baby dress and cut out all the material. Then the second week I made the skirt part but when I was sewing the ruffle I managed to catch some of the skirt material by accident! This meant I had made a cut in the skirt so I printed a label with “Made by Mummy” and put that over the hole!
Then last week I prepared the top part and ironed on some interfacing and today I managed to attach the double sided top pieces together and to the skirt!
Next week I need to do some button holes (which I hate doing as they never turn out well!) and finish off the inside of the top part where it meets the skirt.
I’ll take another photo next week and may be I’ll have finished it!